Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Dear America by Gabrielle Gousman

Dear America,
Why can’t you hear me? Why can’t you see me? Why is it that every time I speak you seem to think you talk over me? Or ignore me altogether? Do you think I’m not good enough? Or that you’re better than me? Why? You live in a country that was built off the backs of my people. Those pretty southern mansions that you call “family manors” were built by my ancestors. Are you afraid that if you acknowledge my power it’ll lessen your’s? Are you afraid that I’ll take over? Afraid that one day I, a strong black woman, will run this little country of your’s? Is that why you make “colorblind”, so that they won’t acknowledge people of color, people like me? No, that can’t be it. Because, you see, ignore your own kind. Your white men go out and run this country while you leave your women unheard and ignored. But at least they exist, in this country not only am I not heard but I am not real. To be a black woman in America is to be magic, but it also to be the one that no one sees.
From,

A Black Woman In America

No comments:

Post a Comment