Friday, September 29, 2017

A Mindless Act by Esperanza Flores


I sat along the chipped windowsill in my Grandparents kitchen. I sat along the windowsill peering out at the sun set its lips upon the edge of earth. I was not in such mood for mouthing out words to pretend that I was okay. So I shut the luminous reflections out of my eyes for a split minute. And yet I found trouble with the shuffling of another's feet. I could tell it was my Grandfather by the sound of his feet pattering. A heavy scratch sliding his way across the torn floor to me. Tugging out the chair across, he began to babble and reminisce about his 20th century years. Fiddling his dry bare fingers, he started out by speaking about the Steel Mill. Through his exertions he received nothing but racism. 12
As a refugee he was always a castaway in the midst of the working class. It was such a shame to see men who share the same color blood act  inhumane toward another. He could only earn respect if he ,in some magical world, morphed into some white man. Aren’t we all innate people, created by the cycle of life? All the same but different ideologies and color. So what? Do they, you, or anyone need to suck someone else's dignity out of their corpse due to their color?
There is no justified reason for such belligerent behavior. We are not reckless animals savaging around towns to take folks down. In fact we are all are homo sapiens trying to get by in life. So why cause destruction when we are all trying to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment