Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Faces by Makayla Booker

Our community, the black community that is,
has had a lot of problems that some people often miss.
We've lost so much of the stability that we need as a community,
but we've somehow gotten use to it, like an immunity.
The stability that we lost was due to our oppressors, controversy, social media, and loneliness.
But nothing will change unless we're all in this.
Some people refuse to see the change that needs to come,
and by the time they realize the need to change, the damage will already be done.

I look around and see the faces of my people,
the faces of my past.
Saying "I have a dream,"
hoping that we can make that dream last.
I see the struggle from which my people went through.
I hear the songs which they sung.
I see the tribes from which my brothers and sisters came from.
I look into the trees and see where they hung.
"Die Nigger Die" I heard in the streets from the faces of our oppressors, as they hung my sister.
Now I hear the jury say "Not guilty" looking at the cop's body camera.
Dr. King was able to write a letter from a Birmingham jail,
oh, how the mighty had fell.
At least he was trying to stand up for himself and fight for what he believed in,
where I saw my brothers going to jail for the color of their skin.
Today, some of these brothers  think they slick.
They think that they can go around getting themselves into sticky situations thinking that it won't stick.
I look around and see the faces of my people,
the faces of my past.
Saying "I have a dream,"  
hoping we can make that dream last.
You hear a lot of people spewing words that they claim to teach,
but how many people do you see actually practicing what they preach.
I see my brothers and sisters walking in the streets, on TV screaming “BLACK LIVES MATTER.”
So, now I'm sitting here trying to determine which one's sadder.
Is it the fact that i see this on the tv but people refuse to hear their pleas for what they seem to fight for.
Or the fact that in the middle of the night i see those same people murdering their own kind over stupid turf wars,
when you and I both know that they didn't do not a dang thing to be in the gang the claim to be in.
But got the nerve to be throwing up signs saying “Vice Lords” or “GDN”.
I look around and see the faces of my people,
the faces of my past.
Saying "I have a dream,"
Hoping that we can make that dream last.
Social media sure has had its perks and has been fun.
Huh? Like Malcolm Gladwell said “Viva la revoución.”
But what did we have to loose to get their?
Girls shaking their butts like they just don't give care?
I go on social media and see young girls 'thotting' around,
and young boys walking around with their pants dragging on the ground.
They can't even talk about where they lived and what they lived for,
because it was implied that communications door was closing by Thoreau.  
In the words of Drake “Trigger fingers turn into Twitter fingers.”
Bodies keep dropping while the smell of blood lingers,
and the cops who are trying to help are dropping to,
because people have a deep seeded hatred for them because of what they see on the news.
I look around and see the faces of my people,
the faces of my past,
Saying "I have a dream,"
hoping that we can make that dream last.
Scott Brown said, in reference to our world today, that “we've lost our right to lose touch.”
However I think the contrary of said such,
Because I live in a world today where the average black child won't know who their father is.
Do you think that our ancestors wanted this?
For a child to grow up not knowing what it's like to have a home,
where a child has to grow up alone.
Where they are forever on the fence
because “The silence at home, however, was finally more than a literal silence.” (Aria Richard Rodriguez)
Where parents could at least try to ease the pain that their child is going through,
where a child just wants a “Home at Last” like Dinaw Mengestu.
Kids are wishing upon stars when the stars are out,
wishing that they can get back the home they lost like Richard Rodriguez in Aria.
What happened to health and happiness
Because these kids are forever alone and it's sickening
I look around and see the faces of my people,
The faces of my past.
Saying "I have a dream,”
Hoping that we can make that dream last.
What can we do to get the stability that we need?
The stability that no one has paid heed?
I can't force people to see the need to change,
Because if I try they'll keep going down the same lane.
And what people fail to realize is that people won't change until they think so,
but until that time comes, they just going with the same flow.
However, without the change we need to overcome these voices, our past becomes a stutter.
Repeat after repeat like a song on replay.
Looking at my brother pleading,
"I can't breathe" he tried to say.
I look around and see the faces of MY people,
The faces of MY past.
Saying "I have a dream.”
Do you think that WE made that dream last?

No comments:

Post a Comment