Wednesday, February 8, 2017

My Ode to Men by Gabrielle Gousman

To men, may you capture
The dreams you chase.
May the Utopia you seek,
Blooming in masculinity,
Become a reality for you.
May it be without the color pink,
Flowers or even rainbows.
May it be without anything feminine.
May it be without beauty,
Because you seem to destroy
Everything you touch.
My innocence is bud that has yet to bloom,
But living in a world with you
Makes it crumble.
Makes it wither,
You make it shrivel up and die,
Just like everything you touch.
You try to tell me how to
Walk
You try to tell me how to
Talk,
How to look, how I should stand.
You try to tell me to talk
Quietly,
Think pretty,
Be small and meek.
But really you just don’t want me
To exist.
My existence is a threat
To your Utopia.
My pain is too real for you.
You don’t understand my pain.
You don’t care about my pain.
You try to shush me
By telling me I’m nothing.
“You are nobody,” you say,
But I can’t be nobody
If I’m here,
I exist,
I breathe,
I have flesh,
And you can’t change that.
Many have tried and failed.
You can’t tear down a temple
When it’s on holy grail.
And my body’s  a temple,
Wherever I stand is holy grail.
I will not allow you to tear me down…
I am a woman,
And that means so much more
Than you give me credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment